High vacuum biospecimen transfer system
- Eliminate formalin from surgery suites
- Monitor tissue temperature during transfer
- Deliver "fresh" tissues to laboratory
The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC1) has classified formaldehyde as a class 1 carcinogen.
This new classification is encouraging health authorities, surgical staff, pathologists and histotechnicians to look for ways to eliminate the substance from work environments.
A critical exposure point for facility personnel is in the transfer of tissue from the surgical suite to the pathology lab.
The advanges of TissueSAFE are:
- Immediately after excision, specimens are transferred to an adjacent room where the TissueSAFE is installed.
Tissue is placed into sterilized specimen bags and sealed under vacuum. Users can add important case information by writing directly on the printed note field, including information into the sealable document pouch, or using an optional label.
- The sealed specimen bag is then placed into a carryable “coolbag” for short distances or refrigerated transfer box for remote sites.
- A Radio Frequency Identification Device (RFID) smart card (optional), is placed into the transfer box to continuously monitor and document tissue temperature from the surgery suite to the histology lab.
- Fixation can now start under controlled conditions in the laboratory.